Essential oils support the body on both the physical, emotional and energetic levels. They can be used to support our physical health including our immune system, hormones, gut/digestive health, respiratory health and help us manage moods, focus, rest/relax as well as get rid of toxic household products.
We recommend (and use) doTERRA Essential Oils for a few reasons:
- They are 100% pure, therapeutic grade oils
- They are ethically and sustainably sourced,
- Every single batch of oils are tested for potency and purity,
- They are safe, natural and free of contaminants/synthetics/fillers; and
- They offer incredible therapeutic value.
On top of this the co-impact sourcing model also supports farmers globally, including many developing countries.
You’ve got your Home Essentials Kit (or essential collections kit), now, what do you do with it?
Frankincense is commonly referred to as the ‘king of oils’ for very good reason. It is a holy oil (referred to in the Bible) and in ancient times was used in sacrificial ceremonies. The French have used this oil over the centuries for medicinal purposes to ease symptoms of asthma, depression and ulcers.
doTERRA currently source this oil from Somalia and it has a warm, spicy, clean aroma.
It is the go-to oil when you don’t know what else to use. When in doubt, go with Frank!
Frankincense promotes feelings of peace and overall wellness when used aromatically, while topical and internal uses provide modern health benefits*.
- Supports healthy cellular function*
- Promotes feelings of relaxation
- Reduces the appearance of skin imperfections
- Rub Frankincense on your hands after a long day of gardening for a warming and soothing effect.
- Helps reduce the appearance of skin imperfections – apply one drop to your skincare routine (avoid eye area).
- Can be applied to the bottoms of feet to promote feelings of relaxation and to balance mood.
- Take one to two drops in a veggie capsule to support healthy cellular function.*
This oil may assist with focus and improved concentration. It may also ease hyperactivity, impatience, irritability and restlessness and can help enhance a spiritual awareness.
Dr Axe has loads more suggestions. Click here to check them out.
DigestZen is a wonderful companion to aid in the digestion of food, soothe occasional upset stomachs, and reduce uncomfortable gas and bloating.* It’s known as the tummy tamer and may also reduce symptoms of motion sickness.
- Add a few drops to water to take internally or rub on the stomach (diluted) before flying or taking a road trip for a calming aroma.
- Have DigestZen on hand when enjoying heavy holiday meals to promote digestion.*
- Take DigestZen with you when traveling or trying new foods to soothe occasional stomach upset.*
- Add to water, or tea, to maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract.*
Common uses include: bloating, constipation, abdominal cramps, food poisoning, heartburn, nausea, parasites, diarrhea, gastritis, flatulence or vomiting.
Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
Internal use: Dilute one drop in 250ml of water.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area eg: reflex points on soles of feet, bottom of throat (for gagging) or over the stomach area. Dilute with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimise any skin sensitivity.
You may also like to apply DigestZen to the paws of dogs for parasites.
Note – Use with caution if pregnant and this oil is not recommended for people with epilepsy.
Lavender is often considered a must-have oil to keep on hand at all times due to its versatile uses, including calming and relaxing properties that promote peaceful sleep and ease feelings of tension.*
Used and cherished for centuries for its unmistakable aroma and myriad of benefits. In ancient times, the Egyptians and Romans used Lavender for bathing, relaxation, cooking, and as a perfume.
Some ways to use Lavender:
- Diffused for its calming and relaxing qualities
- To reduce the appearance of skin imperfections.
- Reduces anxious feelings and promotes peaceful sleep*
- Helps ease feelings of tension.
- Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet at bedtime.
- Keep a bottle of Lavender on hand to soothe occasional skin irritations (dilute with FCO).
- Freshen your linen closet, mattress, car, or the air by combining Lavender with water in a spray bottle.
- Take internally to reduce anxious feelings.*
- Use in cooking to soften citrus flavours and add a flavourful twist to marinades, baked goods, and desserts.
Some other possible uses are: bruises, cold sores, reduce high blood pressure, repel insects, sunstroke, sprains, hives, hysteria, stretch marks, premenstrual conditions, minimise scarring, vertigo, rashes and cleaning.
Lavender may be applied topically, diffused or ingested (considered generally recognised as safe by the FDA). Always follow bottle guidelines and consult your doctor if worried about anything.
The high menthol content of the doTERRA Peppermint essential oil sets it apart from others when it comes to quality—making it one of the best-selling favourites among doTERRA essential oils.
Please be aware that peppermint oils is quite potent and caution is advised when using around very young children, it is not advised to be ingested by children under the age of 6.
A good tip for younger children is to apply 1 drop to some water, then dampen a face washer and apply to the base of necks to assist in relieving fevers, headaches, nausea, vomiting and more. You can do the same to the stomach area for diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting etc.
Peppermint oil can be diffused, applied topically and ingested (see above for young children). It is known for a wide variety of uses, including:
- Promoting a healthy respiratory function and clear breathing*
- Promoting digestive health*
- Repels bugs naturally
- May ease head tension*
- Uplifts moods
- Freshens bad breath
- Cools the skin
You may also like to:
- Use a drop of Peppermint with Lemon in water for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse.
- Take one to two drops in a Veggie Capsule to alleviate occasional stomach upset.*
- Add two to three drops to your favourite smoothie recipe for a refreshing twist.
- Place one drop in palm of hand with one drop Wild Orange and one drop Frankincense and inhale for a mid-day pick-me-up.
- Dilute with FCO and rub up the back of your neck, and on temples to relieve head tension.
Other uses for peppermint oil: relieving symptoms of asthma, chronic fatigue, congestion, constipation, diarrhea, fevers, flu, headaches, heatstroke, hot flashes, itching, migraines, motion sickness, muscle fatigue, nausea, vomiting and varicose veins and more.
The cleansing, purifying, and invigorating properties of Lemon make it one of the most versatile oils, not to mention the top-selling essential oil that doTERRA offers. It takes around 3000 lemons to produce 1 kilo of lemon oil. You can diffuse, apply topically or ingest lemon oil. It blends well with Eucalyptus, frankincense, wild orange, lime, peppermint and ylang ylang.
Lemon is extremely versatile and has many uses, such as:
- Cleanses and purifies the air and surfaces
- Naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion*
- Supports healthy respiratory function*
- Promotes a positive mood
It may also relieve symptoms of anxiety, cold sores, common colds, depression, influenza, hangovers, heartburn, stress, throat infections and tonsilitis.
When added to water, Lemon provides a refreshing and healthy boost throughout the day. Lemon is frequently added to food to enhance the flavour of desserts and main dishes. Taken internally, Lemon provides cleansing and digestive benefits and supports healthy respiratory function.* When diffused, Lemon is very uplifting and energising and has been shown to help improve mood.
- Take internally to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort.*
- Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water (or vinegar) to clean tables, countertops, and other surfaces. Lemon oil also makes a great furniture polish; simply add a few drops to olive oil to clean, protect, and shine wood finishes.
- Use a cloth soaked in Lemon oil to preserve and protect your leather furniture and other leather surfaces or garments.
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals.
- Diffuse to create an uplifting environment.
Watch Tracey make a Citrus Cleaning Paste using her Lemon oil – click here for the video.
As one of doTERRA’s most popular oils, doTERRA On Guard is a powerful proprietary blend that supports healthy immune function* and contains cleansing properties.
It may also:
- Protect against environmental threats*
- Support the body’s natural antioxidant defenses*
- Promote healthy circulation*
- Provide and energising and uplifting aroma
This blend, provides a natural and effective alternative for immune support.* On Guard protects against environmental and seasonal threats with essential oils known for their positive effects on the immune system.* doTERRA On Guard can be taken internally on a daily basis to maintain healthy immune function and support healthy cardiovascular function.* It can also be used on surfaces throughout the home as a non-toxic cleaner. When diffused, doTERRA On Guard helps purify the air, and can be very energising and uplifting.
- Add two to three drops in a veggie capsule for an immune boost.*
- Add to water for an effective all-purpose surface cleaner.
- Soak sliced apples in water and a few drops for a healthy, immune-boosting snack.*
- Combine a few drops of doTERRA On Guard with Fractionated Coconut Oil for a natural hand cleanser.
- Apply one to two drops to desired area (chest, back and bottom of feet are great places). Dilute with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimise any skin sensitivity.
Tea Tree (Melaleuca)
Jo’s personal #1 favourite oil! Tea Tree oil is best known for its purifying qualities, which make it useful for cleansing the skin and home surfaces, purifying the air, or promoting healthy immune function.*
- For occasional skin irritations, apply 1–2 drops of Tea Tree essential oil onto affected area (dilute with FCO).
- Combine 1–2 drops with your facial cleanser for added cleansing properties, or apply to skin after shaving.
- Apply to fingernails and toenails after showering to purify and keeps nails looking healthy.
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and use on surfaces to protect against environmental threats.
- Dab a drop onto any insect bites to assist the itch.
- Apply Tea Tree and Lavender EO (diluted with FCO) to the skin that’s been over exposed to the sun.
- Great for deterring head lice (mix in a spray bottle and spray on the hair)
The leaves of the melaleuca tree have been used for centuries by the aborigines to heal cuts, wounds and skin infections. With the French using it to treat athletes foot, bronchitis, colds, coughs, diarrhea, flu, sunburn and more.
You can apply topically (diluted as necessary), diffused or taken in capsules (not recommended for children). This oils also blends well with lemon, wild orange, eucalyptus, lavender and frankincense.
This oil may also help with burns, digestion, hysteria, infectious diseases, mites and ticks, fungal infections, cold sores, acne, lice, nail infections, rashes, ringworm, thrush, sore throat, warts and more.
Known as doTERRA’s top shelf immune support oil, Oregano acts as a powerful cleansing agent, and offers powerful antioxidants*—extending its uses far beyond the kitchen cooking dish!
Oregano is a hot oil, you need to be mindful when you use it.
- Always dilute it with Fractionated Coconut Oil
- If taking internally use a veggie capsule
Oregano is one of the most potent and powerful essential oils and has been used for centuries in traditional health practices for its cleansing and immune-boosting properties.* The primary chemical components of Oregano are carvacol and thymol, both in the phenols group, which possess cleansing and antioxidant properties.* Due to its high phenol content, caution should be taken when inhaling or diffusing Oregano; only one to two drops is needed. Additionally, Oregano should be diluted with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil when applied to the skin. One drop taken daily can help maintain healthy immune function; Oregano can be taken more frequently when seasonal threats are high or as needed to further support the immune system.* In addition to being a popular cooking spice, Oregano also supports healthy digestion.* Oregano acts as an enhancer and equaliser in essential oil blends and can help support healthy respiratory function when taken internally.*
- Used as a powerful cleansing and purifying agent
- Supports a healthy immune system*
- Supports healthy digestion and respiratory function*
- Offers powerful antioxidants*
- Take one drop daily to maintain healthy immune function (in a veggie capsule).*
- Put one drop in place of dried oregano in spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, or on a roast.
- Put 10 drops in a spray bottle with water or white vinegar for a surface cleaner.
This is a really great blog post by Dr Axe. Oregano is an amazing oil, it’s one that shouldn’t be forgotten about! Click here to have a read.
Easy Air (Breathe)
Known as the ‘Respiratory Blend’ this essential oil is a must have if you, or your family suffer from any respiratory issues.
- Maintains feelings of clear airways and easy breathing
- Promotes a restful nights sleep
- Helps minimise the effects of seasonal threats
doTERRA Easy Air (Breathe in America) is a remarkable blend of essential oils including Laurel Leaf, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca, Lemon, Cardamom, Ravintsara, and Ravensara. It maintains feelings of clear airways and easy breathing while minimising the effects of seasonal threats. doTERRA Easy Air can be applied topically to the chest, back, or bottom of feet, or diffused at nighttime to calm the senses and promote a restful sleep.
- Diffuse, inhale directly from palms, or rub on chest or feet when seasonal and environmental threats are high.
- Use when outdoors to minimise the effects of seasonal threats.
- Diffuse at bedtime for a restful night’s sleep.
Ice Blue (Deep Blue)
If you suffer from achy legs, a sore back or tight shoulders, then Ice Blue is for you! It smells just like a dencorub it acts in just the same way – except it’s natural!
doTERRA Ice Blue (Deep Blue in America) is perfect for a soothing massage after a long day of work. Wintergreen, Camphor, Peppermint, Ylang Ylang, Helichrysum, Blue Tansy, Blue Chamomile, and Osmanthus work together to soothe and cool. After long hours on the computer, try rubbing Deep Blue proprietary blend on your fingers, wrists, shoulders, and neck. A few drops of Ice Blue Soothing Blend diluted in Fractionated Coconut Oil can be part of a cooling and comforting massage.
- Massage Deep Blue with a few drops of carrier oil onto growing kids’ legs before bedtime.
- Rub Deep Blue on lower back muscles after a day of heavy lifting at work or during a move.
This is the oil that will convince the man in your life, rub some on and watch the benefits.
The Home Essentials Kit is a great way to start your journey! There’s massive savings when purchasing this kit:
- Save $120
- Free doTERRA Petal Diffuser
- Save $35 on an enrolment fee
If you’d like to know more about Essential Oils, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can go to this link and purchase your kit. You won’t regret having essential oils in your life.
These are just SOME of the ways you can use these amazing little bottles of alchemy. We’d love to know what you use them for – comment below!
Disclosure: We are NOT providing medical advice. Always consult your physician for medical treatment. The advice shared in this page has not been evaluated by the FDA. The products and methods recommended are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease, nor is it intended to replace proper medical help. *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Modern Essentials App (iTunes)