I love cleaning my oven – Said No One EVER…
It really is a horrible job, one that we always seem to put off until it is so bad that you just can’t stand it any longer, lol.
We try to not let it get too dirty in the first place by wiping it out with hot soapy water and a few drops of Lemon or Wild Orange oil on a regular basis, but this doesn’t seem to get off the hard, baked on stuff. So our go-to cleaning solution is a mix of bi-carb soda, white vinegar and our favourite cleaning essential oils.
This easy to make, non-toxic concoction, combined with a bit of elbow grease, works a treat.
- 100g (1/2 cup) bi-carb soda
- 10 drops Wild Orange
- 10 drops Lemon Oil
- 10 drops Lime
- Enough cold water to form a thick paste (approx 1-2 tblsp)
- White vinegar in a spray bottle
You will also need:
- A set of rubber gloves
- A good non-scratch scourer, or steel wool
- Hot, clean water and a clean rag
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, until well combined. If a bit wet, just add more bi-carb, till it is nice and thick (and vice-versa, if not wet enough add more water)
- Switch the oven off at the safety switch.
- Remove all the oven racks and place these aside.
- Spread the paste around the inside of the oven (stay away from any electrical areas and the elements). Make sure to cover all the areas well, including the glass door.
- Spray with a very small amount of vinegar and leave this to soak for a minimum of 4 hours, overnight is even better.
- While waiting for your oven, give your racks a scrub in some very hot, soapy water – this is where the steel wool is perfect.
- When ready to finish the over, spray again with more vinegar (avoiding the electrical elements). Spray enough that it bubbles up.
- Now it is time to give it a good scrub using the scourer or steel wool.
- Wipe away the excess with a clean, damp cloth.
What a mess, gross!!
After cleaning, but before using Wild Orange!
Tip – there was still a small amount of grease left on my glass that didn’t come off with the bi-carb, so I dropped some undiluted Wild Orange oil and used my scourer again, and it came off easily.
After using the Wild Orange – what a difference!
Before and After
To learn more about the amazing benefits of doTERRA essential oils and to find out how to save 25% of the retail price, please have read of our Essential Oils tab on our website or click here.